Facebook is a social network that allows people to share their everyday experiences with more than 2Billion users.
You can easily share your activities with Facebook by using a Facebook check-in from your mobile device. These steps will show you how to check in on Facebook.
What is a Facebook Check-In?
Facebook Check-In allows you to update your status using location features. It identifies nearby places and informs others of your whereabouts. These locations can be as specific or general as a restaurant, or even a whole town or city.
This service can also be used to reassure your friends and family that you are okay after a natural catastrophe or terrorist attack.
The Check-In feature on Facebook allows other Facebook users to see where you have been and when you arrived at a specific location.
You can check in at any location you choose on Facebook. This is not only for your immediate Facebook friends. Because it is connected to a Facebook Page and all Page activities are public, anyone can see your check-in.
The check-in feature can be used to promote your favorite place or business, including parks, museums, and theatres. The feature provides potential customers with valuable information about your company. It also allows you to promote special offers such as merchandise sales or customer discounts.
How to Log In to Facebook from a Web Browser
You can access Facebook from anywhere, whether you are at the beach or in your hotel room.
- Sign in to your Facebook account and choose to Start a New Status in the What’s On Your Mind field.
- Select Check-in from the menu at the lower right of the status bar in Create popup.
- Please enter a location in the Search For Location window or choose it from the drop-down list.
- Select them if you wish to add the image/video, friend, feeling/activity, or gif icons to your post.
- To check in to Facebook, select Post
Note You can tag your friends and family, add photos to your post, or just type some text. Then hit Upload to publish it.
How to check in on Facebook using the Android or iOS app
The interface for the Facebook app on Android and iOS devices is slightly different. However, you can still check-in using the same steps.
- Sign in to Facebook from your smartphone by opening it. Tap Check in (red icon) in the What’s On Your Mind field.
- Allow Facebook to track your location for greater accuracy. Select Allow in the Location permissions prompt.
- You can enter your address, or choose it from the drop-down list.
- To tag friends in your Check In, tap their names then tap Done. You can also add a picture/video, feeling, or activity to your post. You can skip the next step if you don’t want to tag someone.
- Tap Post to share your check-in once you’re done
Share your location with friends on Facebook
Nearby Friends is a feature that allows you to share your Facebook check-in location with only friends if you respect your privacy. This feature is only available for Android and iOS devices. It requires your Location History in order to work on Facebook.
- Open the Facebook app on your Android device to enable Nearby Friends. Turn on Location Service and Background Location. Tap Settings > Apps, then tap Facebook.
- Tap Permissions.
- Next, tap on the location switch for Location Services.
- On your iOS device, open Settings > Privacy.
- To toggle it on, tap Location Services.
- Next, click the Facebook menu on the upper right corner of the screen. Tap View More > Nearby Friends.
- Next, select the friends with whom you would like to share your location and follow the prompts for setting up Nearby Friends.
Note You can enable push notifications to be notified when friends are near you. To do so, tap the Facebook menu and tap Privacy.
8. Next, tap Options.
9. Click Notification Settings. You can modify how notifications are sent to you, including Nearby Friends.
How to find your Check-Ins Map on Facebook
The Check-Ins Map replaces the interactive Where I’ve Been Facebook map app.
Go to your About Page and locate the Check-Ins map. It’s possible it isn’t enabled if it isn’t there.
Go to your profile, select More > Manage sections, then check the box to the right and choose Save.
Marking Yourself Safe on Facebook in a Disaster
You can mark yourself safe and check the safety of others in a crisis situation like a natural disaster or terrorist attack, or a collapsed building. You can let your friends and family know you are okay and also check on them.
Making Yourself Safe in a Web Browser
- You can use Facebook in a browser by going to Explore, and selecting See more > Crisis Response.
- Select the event or crisis that is affecting you. You can also choose the Most Active tab or your locality’s tab.
- To notify your friends you are safe, select the crisis and tap the blue Safe button.
Make Yourself Safe with the Facebook App
To mark yourself safe on the Facebook application, open it, tap the menu, and choose to See more.
4. Tap Crisis Response, then tap the event or crisis affecting your region.
5. Next, click the blue I am Safe button.
How do I delete a check-in on Facebook?
Facebook cannot undo a check-in you have added to a post. You can only remove a check that you do not want to be displayed in your profile by deleting it in its entirety from the timeline.
- To delete a post from your timeline select your profile photo at the top right of your Facebook screen, locate the post, and then select the three horizontal dots at the top right.
- Select Delete Post to delete the post completely from Facebook, or Hide From Timeline to remove it from your timeline.
Share Activities With Your Friends
Checking in on Facebook, whether you are using the app or a desktop computer, is a great way for your friends to know your current location and other activities. The best thing about it is that it takes less than a minute to complete.
Did you manage to log in to Facebook according to the above instructions? Let us know what you think in the comments.